Powell Industries, Inc. Accounting Manager in Houston, Texas
As a global manufacture, we utilize our Core Values: Customer First, Respect for our Employees, Continuous Improvement and “Can-Do” Attitude, to solve our customers’ toughest problems.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for all areas of financial reporting at our Offshore Division, located in Houston, Texas.
Fiduciary - Develop, implement and maintain controls and procedures to ensure that company assets are properly recorded and protected.
Business partner - Provide ongoing financial guidance and assistance to Division management. Team with Division management and staff to improve business processes, profitability, and working capital management.
- Responsible for managing the Finance/Accounting functions of a division.
- Lead the monthly and quarterly closing and financial reporting; assuring compliance with corporate policy, GAAP and SOX.
- Coordinates internal and external audit activities with division staff
- Prepares and approves journal entries.
- Manage contract revenue and cost accounting for compliance with GAAP
- Prepare or review account reconciliations for proper classification and valuation.
- Provide cost accounting services, including information to assist in pricing decisions
- Assist in the development and maintenance of inventory accuracy, including physical verification, valuation and excess/obsolete reserves
- Ensure that Company capital expenditure/fixed assets policy is enforced
- Manage the staffing of the division accounting staff to achieve process continuity. Guide staff in professional development
- Documents and maintains financial processes.
- Assists the Controller in the Budgets and Forecasts, leading the departmental expense budgets
- Prepares and analyzes key performance metrics related to profitability and working capital
- Lead and participate in teams to improve processes and performance
- Effectively communicate with Project Managers (PM), Project Team members and Senior Management
- Review contract documents, change orders and other contract modifications and communicate risks, opportunities and contingencies. Facilitates an evaluation and may recommend risk reserves to management.
- Prepare revenue and cash flow projections based on project timing and milestone billings. Evaluates progress against projections.
- Monitor project performance against budgeted cost and hours; alert project managers when variances are spotted.
- Supervise forecast cost updates, including evaluation of shortages and progress updates from operations. Maintains accuracy in estimated cost to complete. PM remains responsible for approving changes to project financials.
- Prepare special project analysis which may be complex in nature for Senior Management and PM’s.
- Preparation of periodic Project Management metrics.
- Capturing and communicating potential discrepancies between operational activities and pricing tool assumptions – feedback to estimating.
- Supervise, Coach, Mentor, Develop Project Accounting Staff.
- Set and maintain policies and procedures to ensure proper revenue recognition and customer margin.
- Maintain project status through project close out.
- Minimum four year degree in Accounting
- Minimum five years’ experience in Project accounting, two years in a leadership position preferred. Experience in percentage of completion preferred.
- Experience in the monthly close and reporting, budgets and forecasts
- Experience with an ERP system (Oracle preferred)
- CPA, CMA or MBA (preferred).
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to prioritize and manage time effectively (Self-motivated and self-managing)
- Honest, full and open disclosure, integrity
- Ability to anticipate issues and take preventive/corrective action
- Ability to delegate effectively and supervisory skills
- Analytical - macro (financial trends, comparisons, relationships) and micro (getting to "root cause")
- Ability to drive continuous improvement
- Professional curiosity and continuous learning
- Ability to partner with all levels of the organization